Wednesday 17 December 2008

Deliciously Devious

Here in the blessed British Isles there is no expectation at Christmas time to buy gifts for teachers.

There is none of that 'room mother' malarkey either.

In fact teachers are to consider themselves honoured if they receive a Christmas Card from a parent. Mostly they get nothing. Us Brits are nothing if we aren't stingy.

Here you take your kids to school leave them there and stay away.

Returning only to collect your kids or dutifully attend concerts and other presentations when permitted.

I am perfectly happy with this arrangement.

But at Christmas I go the extra mile, I want to make a good impression.

I want to let the teachers know I appreciate them both educating my kids and taking them off my hands several hours each week.

So again this year in a bid to make an everlasting impression I baked (if you can call stirring and chilling baking because really that is all the effort required).

I baked Banoffee pie, crisp chocolate biscuit crumb base, filled with dense swirled caramel and melted Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate, topped with banana and finally whipped cream.

Delicious!
Why make the effort if it isn't even expected?

It's all about being teachers pet.

And when I say that I'm not talking about the kids I am simply talking about me!

From the tears in Thomas' teachers eyes I'd say Mission Accomplished.

post signature

14 lovely comments:

Miss Lisa said...

Wow--I want to be Thomas' teacher!

Stephanie said...

You are making me want to move there once we have kids.

The idea of ever having to be a room mom or find the perfect cheese spreader for a teacher just really sucks.

Barbaloot said...

Wow! I'd have tears in my eyes if someone made that for me, too. It looks and sound delicious!

Susan said...

Wow! That sounds amazing. Good for you teacher's pet. As a former teacher I can guarantee you the effort is appreciated.

Carn Family said...

Wow tears...that is amazing. How nice of you to go above and beyond. And the pie looks delicious!

Tyne said...

What a perfect teacher's pet you are. And I love your rules about Christmas. Makes me want to move there!

EmmaP said...

are you vying for the mother of the year award or what????

and that dessert looks yummo! I have never heard of it but i am sure I would love to eat it! so - are you gonna share the recipe??? pa-leeeeeeeeze???

Melissa said...

Mmmm! I want one of those pies!

Can you send me one? ;o)

that was very sweet of you to do, even if you had alterior motives! :o)

Science PhD Mom said...

Ooooo, now I want a banoffi pie! I might just have to call DH and tell him to pick up some toffee and bananas on his way home...

RuensOnTheRun said...

That sounds and looks YUMMY. Now, I have to go find something sweet to eat...it will never cure the cravings you just gave me though. Yum...

Kristen said...

Ok so you so win!!

What a lovely wonderful yummy treat you made for them!!

Makes me want to go back to teaching!! :)

Mama Smurf said...

What a brown noser!

;)

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Wow - I can remember years ago asking you and Allison what Banoffee was! And if I didn't hate bananas so much, I'd be right on that . . . hmmm, do the bananas take up a ton of space? Would the recipe be awful without it?

Teacher's Pet!

3boys247 said...

Wow, that looks great.

I want to move to England, "no room parent malarkey!" Count me in.