Thursday 25 September 2008

It's the Reason for the Season

I know the secret.

I have discovered how to positively encourage good behaviour from my eldest child.

It may well still be September.

I may have already been using this technique for two weeks.

The technique?

The power of Santa.



Never did I imagine the thought of disappointing Santa would have such a radical effect on a three year olds behaviour.

Fortunately for me he is naive enough to believe I have Santa's number in my mobile phone and can call him to discuss behavioural issues any hour of the day.

Fortunately for me I just have to utter the magic words 'What would Santa say.....' and angelic peace is restored.

I can only hope the magic lasts through to December.

And I can only wish it worked on my two year old.

But in the mean time I am feeling festive already.

post signature

26 lovely comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I hope it works for you:) Keep us posted!

Susan said...

Could you pass along Santa's mobile number? I might be needing that in the near future.
Too funny! Glad it is working.

Anti-Supermom said...

The power of Santa has worked for several years now, along with birthdays, Easter, any other holiday with candy and/or presents.

Don't you love having this so-called 'superpower'.

I feel sort of evil now :)

Aracely said...

Can I PLEASE have his number?

Mama Smurf said...

Oh yes! Santa has unbelievable powers indeed! My 5 (almost 6 year old) STILL falls for this one. All it takes is a little comment like "hmmm, I wonder how Santa would feel about all this whining and crying when you don't get your way" and she INSTANTLY smacks a smile on her face.

Tyne said...

Hilarious! I love that you are pulling that out now. Maybe by December he will be so tired of the threat of Santa, he won't want Santa to visit...

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Genius! Pure genius. I hope it works past December for you.

Melissa said...

That's so cute! I wish that Kendra feared Santa.... Just think, next year it will work on Eli as well!!!

Hopefully the magic keeps on working for the next few months!

Anonymous said...

I've started this, too! :) The power it possesses is unreal.

Laural Out Loud said...

It's too bad that doesn't work ALL year long, lol.

Jen said...

I say play the Santa card as long as you can. My son is just starting to question the whole Santa thing and I can see in his eyes that the threats mean nothing to him anymore. (He's 8, btw)

Miss Lisa said...

Santa works all year--I think I love him now more than as a kid!

Yah for that bearded man in the red suit :)

Unknown said...

Ha! Very clever, Carol...I am hoping this will work for you until December...

Go Santa!

3boys247 said...

Don't forget the elves are watching to report back to Santa.

I tagged you on my blog. 3boys247.blogspot.com

Come by and check it out.

Laura

TheAustinEmpire said...

Thanks for the tip, I think I'm going to see of it works on my kids.

the rogers blog said...

What a good Idea!! Lucas reals off a list of things he wants from Santa everyday. My usual rebuff is well we'll have to ask farmer christmas wont we. Farmer is what Phoebe thinks his name is and she will not hear of calling him anything else!! However I'm not sure how effective the technique would be at the moment considering its 85 degrees outside!!!

Kristen said...

Oh that is too too funny! :)

What we won't use right??

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm going to have to remember that one the next time the Little Imp decides she IS the boss of me!

Vashey Fam said...

Yes, if you figure out how to get it to work on your two yr old, then let me know!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! A positive attitude is contagious!

AMY said...

So the old saying "What would Jesus do" isn't good enough for Thomas huh? It takes a fictional character to motivate him? Yea, my kids too! :)

andreawilliams said...

Ha! I love it!!!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

hahaha...Abby is already talking about her Christmas list. Maybe I need to start playing the Santa card too. :)

Anonymous said...

This is great! Last Christmas, my brother-in-law (who has a great deep voice) called his grandchildren on the phone on Christmas Eve and pretended to be Santa. They really thought they were talking to him! They were beyond excited. It was precious.

the rogers blog said...

Hiya honey, You fallen off the planet. you haven't blogged much last week. I enjoy being entertained!! You have a way with words. Anyways I updated my blog. xxx

Wendi said...

You are one smart mommy!!!