Tuesday 23 September 2008

Without Prejudice

One day I found myself here only to find a review about Pride and Prejudice. I was excited to see it was all part of a Classics Book Club and before you could say 'Mr Darcy' I was all signed up.
Classics Bookclub
The deadline for reading Pride and Prejudice had already passed but I knew I could squeeze it in and have the next book (Jane Eyre) read on time (October 7th) so I indulged myself.

I love Pride and Prejudice it is the literary equivalent of pulling on your snuggliest PJ's, sitting in your most comfy chair and having a humongous mug of hot chocolate with like 40 sugars. It is pure comfort reading at it's best

I had been attempting to recapture my adoration for Mr Darcy-Firth so I figured this was as good a place to start as any. I have seen the BBC adaptation so many times that when I read the text it is those very same characters I see in my mind.

Pride and Prejudice has long been a favourite of mine for the following reasons:

  1. Why use 3 words to make your point when you could use 27 (true of all the classics)?

2. You have to love a bad boy don't you? And P&P has two. I just cannot help myself Wickham fools me every time with his dashing good looks and pleasing words and the fact that he is in the Militia. I always hope somehow he'll surprise me and not turn out to be the shallow monster he really is. Then we have Mr Darcy, who the ladies declared he was much handsomer than Mr. Bingley, and he was looked at with great admiration for about half the evening, till his manners gave a disgust which tuned the tide of his popularity; for he was discovered to be proud, to be above his company, and above being pleased; and not all his large estate in Derbyshire could then save him , well, we all know how that turns out, happily ever after.

3. I think I would have truly loved to live in the setting of Pride and Prejudice. Sure I would have missed denim and electricity but doesn't it just seem a wonderful life to fill your hours with reading, walking, chatting and the occasional ball?

4. I can't help but alter between smiling and grimacing whenever I read of Mr Collins (Mr. Collins is a conceited, pompous, narrow-minded, silly man; you know he is, as well as I do; and you must feel, as well as I do, that the woman who married him cannot have a proper way of thinking.) and his smarmy nature, his refusal to accept Elizabeth would not choose to marry him and his devout adoration of that old beast Lady Catherine De Bourgh.

5. Mrs Bennett a woman of mean understanding, little information and uncertain temper. To give her an ounce of credit she was concerned about the welfare of her and her daughters should her husband pass away but all the same I would be thoroughly mortified if she were my parent. For which reason I find her highly entertaining. Her lack of thinking before speaking and inevitably saying the wrong thing in the presence of the wrong people never ceases to be amusing.

6. The Spice Girls think they invented 'girl power' but they are sadly mistaken. It was Jane Austen in her heroine Elizabeth Bennett instead. I applaud Lizzy for standing up for herself endlessly and so articulately to boot. I wish I were half the woman she was back in my dating days.

In essence it is a witty and romantic love story and what is there to dislike about that? So if you haven't read it, slap yourself around the head and go get a copy.

You will not be disappointed!!

post signature

17 lovely comments:

Lauren W said...

I do love Jane Austen. Such wonderful writing :)
Although (please don't stop being my friend for this...), I deeply love the new (movie) version of P&P with Keira Knightly. Don't get me wrong, I completely enjoy the BBC version, but something about the score and the cinematography in the new one is just lovely...
:) Perhaps I will go home and cuddle up with a little Jane...

Anonymous said...

I loved this review. If I could go back in time and rewrite mine, I'd just link to yours and say, "Me, too." haha

Jen said...

I can't comment on the book version of P & P, as I haven't read it yet, BUT I loved everything you had to say about the characters. Lizzie was all about girl power! Mrs. Bennett is hilarious (in the movie). I have read quite a few negative comments about how she was portrayed in the BBC adaptation but I just thought her character almost made the movie! While I LOVED the BBC version, I will admit to being a tad bit disappointed in the ending. It just seemed like there was a need for something more grand after 6 hours of waiting for them to get together. I do prefer the ending to the Keira version better. Now I need to find time to finally read this book!! Hope you like Jane Eyre!

Anonymous said...

Consider me slapped. :) I got the book from the library about three years ago and just could not get through the 27 words for 3 words thing. I, however, vow to get that book from the library again and get through it! I know I would love it...this kind of story is right up my alley. Maybe now that I have matured three years since the last time, I will finish it. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Laural Out Loud said...

I read most of the classics when I was younger, and now prefer to watch the movies. Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorites!

Claire said...

I think Fabio should've played Mr Darcy. I could've got one board with him a whole lot more if he had rock hard abs and erect nips.

Anonymous said...

Loved your review and I love P & P. I've not read it in years, but I think your post has inspired me!

Becky said...

You have completely inspired me to read it again..... I love Mr. Darcy!!!!! :)

Allikaye's Mama said...

Look at you...oh so scholarly!! hehe!

Our Loved-up Family said...

I just read this blog and it reminded me of yours - way funny;)
http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com/

Vashey Fam said...

I read this book at *least* once a year! The people in it are like old friends to me. I loved it long before Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail! Have you seen the Jane Austen Book Club? I think that's what it was called. It has some racey scenes and I wouldn't recommend watching it with your mother but I ended up liking it. Have fun with Jane Eyre! I read that one every year too! :o)

TheAustinEmpire said...

I've never read that one, I'll have to put it on my list.

I left you something on my blog, finally.

AMY said...

I hate to admit that I have never actually read the book? Why, I have no idea! I loved the movie (never seen the long one, although that is on my list - when can you come over?) I keep suggesting it to my book club, but no one wants to read it...again. I can't bear to tell them I've never actually read it!

Science PhD Mom said...

Carol if you have not read any of the "Austen-lit" that is out there, do! They are all lovely spins on Pride & Prejudice. In particular there is a 3 book series by Pamela Aiden that tells the whole story from Mr. Darcy's point of view, and I loved them! "Austenland" was also amusing, and "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" was funny too. There are a whole bunch out there but those are my favourites.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

oh how i love this "review"...such a good flare to it. I'd go so far as to call it fancy even. :-)

i've been known to call E Bennett (to whome I share a name) the "Carrie Bradshaw" of her time. :-)

Anyway, bravo (I especially loved the part about Wickham)...i think i may have to find the box my P&P is hidden in since our move and reread it!!!

Wendi said...

There will be no slapping heads around here.
I think I adore you even more after reading this quite impressive review.
You nailed it.
I love P&P...the Colin Firth version. The ONLY Mr. Darcy in my eyes.
Thanks so much for sharing and for the reminder I should pick up this book and read it again.

Unknown said...

This is great! I'm glad you posted a late review and hope to see you tomorrow for Jane Eyre!