Tuesday 2 September 2008

Tragedy Strikes

Back in April as you'll recall we added two new additions to our family. We bowed to the pressure from our three year old who had developed such a need for a pet that his weekly highlight was viewing the corpses at the fish counter on our trips to the supermarket. Sad but true!

So enamoured was Rob with our newest family members that the week after he went out and got us two more.

For the last 5 or so months Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward and Mr Crabs have blissfully swam in the depths of Bikini Bottom in their Spongebob Square-tank.

Thomas sadly remained far more impressed by Tesco and their selection of fish than his very own pets. But worry not because the fish had a very special place in Rob's heart and were not at all lacking in love.

Rob dutifully fed and cleaned them.

Rob happily conversed with them. Well as much as you possibly can when communicating with fish.

Then at the weekend disaster sadly struck. I came in from outside only to be informed that Sqidward had passed away. There he was floating limply on the waters surface.

Rob having a far greater emotional attachment to them than myself was too sad to dispose of our fishy friend, so, I promptly gave him a burial at sea (aka down the toilet).

Farewell Squidward, you shall be missed.

But most likely only by Rob.

Because 5 days on the kids still haven't even noticed there is a fish missing in action.

18 lovely comments:

Miss Lisa said...

RIP Squidward.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Poor Squidward. May he RIP!

Anonymous said...

My dead fish post is coming soon. A friend of ours made these cute toilet paper boats to send their frogs off to their proper resting place. I asked months ago for some good prayers to say at the buriel, damn commenters didn't give me anything to work with!

Sorry for your sad, sad loss.

Claire said...

I'm sure he had a good life. That's one magic tank.

Night night wee Squidward.

Lauren W said...

Sad... I never had the opportunity to meet Squidward, but I'm sure that I would've like him. :(

Melissa said...

poor Squidward....

I'm glad the kids didn't notice though. I guess that's the good thing about having more than one fish!

Anonymous said...

hmm.

I wonder if they'll notice.

Boys fascinate me.....seriously.

Anonymous said...

Poor fishy. Poor hubby.

Susan said...

Time to bring on Squidward II.

Simply Shannon said...

Poor Rob.
Love that the boys haven't even noticed!
RIP Squidward!

Anti-Supermom said...

What are you going to do when they finally do realize one is amiss, so funny.

Sorry for Rob, way to be a brave and do the flushing :)

Kristen said...

Is it sad that I find it somewhat funny that the boys haven't noticed??

Hope Rob is dealing well..... and long live the rest of the fish in the Siswick household!

:)

3boys247 said...

Goodbye Squidward. You will be missed.
But now...
Make room for Sandy Cheeks.

I love the spongebob tank! My boys would go nuts for that!

Tiffany said...

Poor fishy - At least it was cranky Squidward!

Beth Cotell said...

Poor guy! This is exactly why I have yet to give into my kids to get a pet. I think they like the idea of having a pet more than they will actually like the pet itself.

At least your husband seems to be enjoying them!

Aracely said...

I'll miss him too, Rob. Squidward is my favorite. We're both fond of interpretive dance, and we're equally annoyed by Sponge Bob.

Melissa said...

just tell him Squidward is on a farm somewhere. Where he can swim free. :)

Tyne said...

We had a betta, and that thing wouldn't die... we went out of town and failed to feed it for days at a time, it's bowl was yucky and he just kept swimming... until McClaine took a soapy hairbrush and stirred the water in the bowl. He died a sad death that day (three weeks ago) and the kids still haven't noticed.

Makes you wonder what kind of things they do notice???