Friday 5 September 2008

Why 3 is the Magic Number

Just lately I am loving this boy.

Not that I didn't love him before but right now I really absolutely totally love him.

He makes me laugh without fail every single day with his weird and wonderful ways.


Whether it is catching him peeing into a bucket in the bathroom whilst stood actually right next to the toilet,

Whether it is him asking me whilst pointing to his face, "Do I have something right here on my face next to my beard?"

Whether it is going into his room at 10pm to find this,

Allegedly he lost something under his bed. (For like 5 days in a row.)


Or the fact that he has to sleep with both of these, what you can't see what they are?

Well one is a Huddersfield Town FC bear that his dad got him as a baby and the other.....


......well, the other is this, a pile of bookmarks commemorating the 10th anniversary of the Preston Temple.

Bishop actually gave them to me and asked me to give them to the children in primary but before I had a chance Thomas found them in my bag and has been sleeping with them regularly ever since.


Shh don't tell Bishop.


Last week he randomly came to a knowledge of borrowing.

Borrowing to a three year old is a dream come true. It means you can enjoy something you like but doesn't belong to you. On Sunday his teacher at church had bags and bags of things with her to keep the little ones entertained and when I went to collect Thomas he was holding what had to be easily 20 items. I explained that we had to give them back because they were his teachers and he curtly replied 'It's OK mummy I just borrow them', his teacher being one of the nicest people on earth couldn't say no and neither could I but I did manage to persuade him to only bring home 5 things.

Which included this dog, 3 used wedding cards and a truly hideous picture of Rob and I at a wedding in our pre-parenting years. All of which he insisted on sleeping with also, obviously.


I love that he now takes a genuine interest in other people now.

How work good mum?

How your run good dad?


It really just never ends.

Some days he'll approach me with his sad face and I'll enquire what's wrong and he'll just say "I miss Lucas" even though they have been in Utah now for a month.

If he happens to be in the garden when our neighbours come home he'll be sure to hold them up in enquiring about their day. I'm sure they really appreciate it.


I love that he has started football training and passionately loves it despite having the concentration span of a fly.


I adore seeing how his brain works, last Sunday he asked me "But who draw those pictures of Jesus?" referring to the the ones on our wall.


Stumped for an explanation fitting to a three year old logic I did what all good mums do. I directed him with his question to his dad.


He asked his dad.


His dad paused considering his answer and then replied, "I did!"


Thomas was completely content with that response.

I know that being 3 isn't a perfect age by far and we do have our moments I assure you. But at this point I am focusing on the positives and the fact that Eli is not so far behind and whatever Thomas can throw at us as a three year old will surely be vastly eclipsed by Eli when his turn comes.

That I would bet on.


post signature

24 lovely comments:

Mama Smurf said...

What a sweet post! And what a sweet little boy you have!

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Oh, what a wonderful post, I loved reading this!

You're so right - sometimes when the age can be so challenging (and I'm a FIRM believer that three is the new 2), focusing on all the growth and amazing things they're doing really helps put things into perspective!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. :) Kids are amazing, huh? I just love how he takes those things to bed with him. My kids do the same thing. Random items that one would think are nothing are SOMETHING to them!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

It does sound like the perfect age. Isn't it funny how quirky they get?

And, I love the word "whilst." People look at me like I'm crazy when I use it.

Tyne said...

How Sweet! yes, I love three, too. It is such a cute age, how funny that he sleeps with all those random things.

Aracely said...

It's funny the things boys like to sleep with. My 3 year old began waking up with big scratches on his face. I couldn't figure out why until I noticed the big Mater tow truck near his pillow. It seems he was getting a bit too cozy with the tow hook, OUCH!

Our Loved-up Family said...

I loved that blog entry, lots of ahhh moments. Sounds like he is a bit of a magpie, I love how he sleeps with all of his random loot. Just so you know as well, I have friends now who visit my blog and always leave via yours - your fan base is growing:)

amanda said...

super sweet post :)

you have me kinda excited about three!!

Claire said...

I'm def part of your fan base Carol. I loved this post. What a little peach. He looked so cute all cuddled up with all of his random treasures.

You need to commit to writing a post every single day. I feel cheated if I don't have a Carol fix every day!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Cute post...I'm looking forward to the 3's with my little guy. The
2's are wearing me out! :)

the rogers blog said...

Lucas is on the same page as Thomas. He's a persistant little beggar and sometimes if my answer isn't adequate he'll keep asking why until my answer just gets better and more inventive. They are like little sponges!!
Lucas asked the other day. Today I want Thomas and Eli to come on the plane to my house to play. He got very sad when I explained to him how far and very expensive it is. I'm absolutly positive that when you guys do make the trip the welcome you get from Lucas will be more than enough for all of us!! Love and miss you all. xxx

Susan said...

Love this post Carol! He is a gem. There were so many things I could relate to. Austin loves taking random things to bed with him too.

Anonymous said...

I love that he is sleeping with the book marks! Our house was a battle zone during the 3's, glad to hear and see how cute it can be for others!

Penelope said...

What a sweet post! I love that he sleeps with the things he "borrows!" :)

Anonymous said...

This post just did my heart good! What an endearing little boy you have. I love how he wants to sleep with all he holds important in his life. I giggled when I saw the church anniversary cards. Who knew that a three year old would want to sleep with them?
I want every moment to last with Chase but I so look forward to him being three. Three is fun!

Ilina said...

First of all, I love the Schoolhouse Rock reference in the title. Three was hard for us with our oldest (the one in kindergarten now). He was prone to tantrum fits as I was at that age. He grew out of it to become so curious, thoughtful, and downright funny. Now my younger son is three. He's been a sweet, sensitive kid from day one. I'm holding my breath for the tantrum volcano to erupt. Maybe I paid my dues and won't have to go through it again. Cheers to your lovely post! Thanks for visiting Dirt & Noise!

Unknown said...

I just adore how he has to sleep with all that stuff. It reminds me of my oldest when he was three he would do the same thing. Although I don't think he ever slept with a stack of bookmarks. That's a new one! ; )

What a cutie your little guy is!

Tiffany said...

Oh, what a beautiful post. Aren't kiddos so fun at this age. My second is almost three and he is in the stage of using the word "my" instead of "I" - "My do dat", "My want dat" - I just can't bring myself to correct him because it is just so stinkin cute.

Do they have to grow up?

Mom to the 3rd Power said...

What a sweet pic of your son sleeping with all of his "goodies"-that's what my 4 yr old calls them. I have to remove all the goodies after she falls asleep as there are sooo many.

Miss Lisa said...

That is just so sweet, I'm teary.
You are a lucky mommy!

Anonymous said...

soooooo precious!!

""Do I have something right here on my face next to my beard?""

HAhahahahaaahah!!!!

that is so something my Corey would say.

don't cha love it?!!?

Wendi said...

What a sweet, sweet post Carol!

Your husband is a hoot.

HE drew the pictures of Jesus?

Who knew.

AMY said...

Such a nice post love. 10 years since the Preston temple? Wow, time flies! We were there together, wearing our Elder Holland approriate attire no less!

LisAway said...

What a sweet boy! I love three! I love the language development at that age and all the things they are learning and remembering and how they surprise you all the time with something you had no idea they knew.

Cute post. And cute blog!