Monday 10 March 2008

Waterlogged

I have never been much of a drinker. Generally I'll have a drink with lunch and again with dinner, sometimes I'll just go crazy and have a third (all of which I prefer to be caffeinated!). I just don't feel thirsty so what's the point? Now, I am fully aware that one of the key signs of dehydration is a lack of thirst. But really are you telling me the more I drink the more thirsty I'll actually become? Is that even possible? Well I am always on the lookout for ways to become more healthy that require very little effort from me. (Hence why exercise is a big no-no!)

So, I looked at what the benefits are of drinking more water:

  1. Improve your energy (I have existed in a constantly lethargic state since Jan 27th 2005 when I became a mum, so sign me up for some energy saturated H2O!)


  2. Increase your mental and physical performance (My brain has also been in a semi-comatose condition since the start of Pregnancy number one, my doctor assures me this is irreversible but maybe water is the very cure I need. Physical performance? No thanks!)


  3. Remove toxins and waste products from your body (Well considering I have dehydrated myself for pretty much the last 32 years I am probably in desperate need of a good old detoxifying.)


  4. Keep skin healthy and glowing (Maybe for me this should say begin having healthy and glowing skin, something that has been previously unachieved without the aid of Roaccutane.)


  5. Help you lose weight (Completely unrequired she says smugly!)


  6. Reduce headaches and dizziness (Always a bonus!)


  7. Allow for proper digestion


  8. Help to keep you more alkaline (well who wants to be acidic?)
So, I decided 8 days ago to experiment and increase my fluid intake to 8 glasses a day of water. That is a 400% increase, but I had faith I could do it. Yes, entirely because it required very little effort at all.

This is the outcome:
  1. I have had to pee more in the last 8 days than I have had to pee in the previous 32 years combined.


  2. I have gained empathy for those humongous pregnant ladies who have to get up repeatedly in the night to pee. I now have to get up in the night to pee despite avoiding that through two entire pregnancies.


  3. I have discovered the strange satisfaction that comes from having completely clear urine.


  4. I have been more thirsty. Medical fact confirmed!


  5. I have felt more healthy and revitalised. But, would probably feel more so if the kids weren't insisting of going through a phase of waking between 6:30 and 7.00am. It's a killer!


  6. I feel like I'm carrying a big water balloon around in my tummy all the time.


  7. I think if I ever stand a chance of kick starting my brain I'll need to increase my intake a few more hundred percent.

Righto I'll have to finish there. I need to go pee............again!

2 lovely comments:

Jill said...

Carol-
I love the fact that you tried this odd phenomenon of drinking actual water. I too fall in the "Diet Coke is a great substitute for my primary hydration" category and don't feel it necessary to drink water...ever!
My husband is constantly telling me the benefits, all of which you've included in your "research". My question....was it worth it? Just wondering. I don't know if I'll ever have the strength or self-control to go only water 8 glasses a day for a while. We'll see. Miracles do happen.

McMommy said...

This post is hysterical!! I love #3...that you find strange satisfaction in the clear color of your pee. I remember watching an Oprah episode once where the doctor was telling her that her pee should be the color of light lemon juice.

Why does my brain remember trivial bits of information like this?!?!

Maybe I need to start drinking more water too.